Thursday, June 7, 2007

Kids Say the Darnedest Things 1

Like most parents of young children, I am always amused by the things my children say. The other day my 8-year-old son, Bailey, was showing off his video gaming talents to my father, his Pawpaw. He just recently got the game system, but has quickly learned how to play several of the games very well. Unfortunately, the rest of the family is not so talented at playing them, so he is always looking for someone new to challenge him at Mario Bros., Star Wars, or whichever of the games he happens to be interested in that day. Anyway, he convinced Pawpaw to play a game with him and off they went to the bedroom to play. I could hear Bailey from the other room explaining, in his 8-year-old way, how the game was played, what the object of the game was, which buttons on the controller did what functions, etc. He quickly rambled through it all and then said, "Okay, Pawpaw, let's play." Having been through the same "instruction-time" with him myself, I could sense the confusion from the other room. But, Pawpaw, in his best way, said, "Okay, let's play." Anyway, I was visiting with my Mom, and we could hear them going at it the other room...mostly Bailey saying, "No, Pop, not that way, this way," or "you have to hit that button, no that button, no, no, no..." After a long while of giving it his best shot, my poor Dad finally gave up and "let him win." When it was all over, my sweet son looked at my Dad and said in his most serious tone, "Pawpaw, you're going to have to improve." LOL Fortunately, Pawpaw was tickled pink over that and will have plently of chances to hone his gaming skills. Every time they come to visit, Bailey asks him to play again. I'm glad my Dad has a great sense of humor.

1 comment:

DFR said...

We'll have to get him playing with my Peepers. She'll give him a run for his money!! I don't even try to play against her anymore. She whoops me every time!